frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Wooden and SS Group Handles.

24

Comments

  • I have obtained about 5 pieces of various but beautiful timber with the grain following the length & right way for wood turning After cutting to size, each piece will probably make 3 or 4 group handles One piece is with the grain going the other way and will suit steam/water knobs KK
  • on 1305028210:
    Needs a better pic... The supplier should know OR other owners... Will do some searching.... http://www.orphanespresso.com/Ponte-Vecchio-Handle-Grip-for-Lever-Portafilter_p_2333.html# So that must pull off or Screw off. You may want to send an e-mail or two.
    Supplier pointed me to HB, and I found a few posts about handles.  Seems the group handle & the lever handle are the same.  Sure enough I just checked and the handle just twists off on the lever but it was much tighter than the group handle one.  Thread, size, shape looks the same. I would prefer a more rounded end so that it doesn't cut into the palm of my hand, otherwise they are the perfect size.  Will bring one down next visit.
  • on 1305112225:
    Part 2:   Please see if you can confirm the thread  Size and  Pitch - Bunnings in the bolt section usually have a selection of Nuts and Bolts that you can try to confirm.
    On this note, check both the male AND female threads. I have found when doing my initial measurements that my local Mitre 10 had 3/8" bolts with 10mm nuts. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Basically the 10mm nut went on the male thread of the handle, but the 10mm bolt didn't screw into the portafilter, so definitely check both.
  • on 1305113424:
    OH so we dodged a bullet on that one ???  Thanks for the heads up / and good suggestion  :) I know the Metric threads also have a pitch of 1.5 or 1.75 for larger threads and think there are two pitches for most sizes..  Little bit like UNC and UNF.   
    Well I'd specified 3/8" only after I'd checked all this, as I had a hunch the 10mm nut was just a *tiny* bit loose, hence the Mitre 10 trip as I had nothing Imperial handy. Just a good heads up to others that some metric/imperial sizings are so close that you do really need to check both.
  • Been there before... I never understand how bunnings zinc coated coach bolts are in imperial, but the galvanised ones are in metric.  Does my head in! :)
  • I am asking about a wood oil question Its for that special project that I mentioned above Is there an oil that is also a clear hard coating Something in semi gloss finish I have heard of hard shellac The item will need be wiped with ease and possibly get dusty often in between KK
  • on 1305195331:
    I am asking about a wood oil question Its for that special project that I mentioned above Is there an oil that is also a clear hard coating Something in semi gloss finish I have heard of hard shellac The item will need be wiped with ease and possibly get dusty often in between KK
    Linseed oil springs to mind (think cricket bats), but I really don't like it. Danish oil gives a semi gloss, but is still porous. Decking oil (what I used) is a completely matt finish. Shellac can be a bit temperamental, but to be honest I haven't used it since I used to help my Dad with woodwork as a child, so it might work. Are there any timber/woodwork places near you that you could go have a look at finishes? You don't want to choose wrong for what you're after, as a lot of finishes you are stuck with once you go with them. There's a fantastic one up here in Toowoomba...but I guess that doesn't help :P
  • Is Tung oil & decking oils the same thing And I want something without stain The timber is naturally yellow gold & I want to enhance its natural look KK
  • on 1305197104:
    Is Tung oil & decking oils the same thing And I want something without stain The timber is naturally yellow gold & I want to enhance its natural look KK
    Not 100% sure but I don't think so. Have a (coffee) friend who tung oiled floor boards in the house. I'll let you know what he says KK.
  • on 1305197848:
    A Tung and Orange oil mix is GREAT and natural and hard wearing.   The issue for Tung oil is it likes to be worked and takes some time to dry really hard...
    Isn't that why Danish oil was created? It's a superior mix of Tung oil with other oils to make it easier to work with.
  • I have just been reading on some products I think that I like the idea of  blends of urethane fortified natural oils http://www.dgi.com.au/coil.html Gives me the best of both worlds Any other brands available? KK
  • Ok.  Bought a m10 gal and a 3/8 zinc and the m10 fits, tad loose but so is the orig handle until it tightens up.  The 3/8 didn't even thread on.  Too small. :) Will post up piccies of the stock handles tknight and a rough drawing of what I want. Do you think you could also do some hw/steam handles?  That would be ace.
  • AM, Just wondering, what do you think the wood from a Pecan tree would be like? I have one growing over my fence, and the branches are about 10cm diameter and dead straight. I can probably get a fair bit of it and throw it under my house for twelve months or so if you think it would be useable as that should season it properly I would think?
  • I was told once that a Pecan is part of the Hickory family I got this info from the web
    The wood of the pecan tree is used for furniture, flooring, and panelling due to the wood's heavy weight, varying contrast of the grain, strength, and closed wood pore
    207%20Pecan.jpg KK
  • on 1305456396:
    I was told once that a Pecan is part of the Hickory family I got this info from the web
    The wood of the pecan tree is used for furniture, flooring, and panelling due to the wood's heavy weight, varying contrast of the grain, strength, and closed wood pore
    KK
    Yep, I found similar things. I'm just not sure if the colour is nice enough to be used for anything. Seems a bit....brown. Google tells me it's a fantastic timber to smoke meat with, so maybe I'll start collecting it anyway. I've got around 100 square metres of dry space under the house that I can utilise, with >1m clearance for over half of it (did someone say smokehouse :D :D :D )
  • Yep, I found similar things. I'm just not sure if the colour is nice enough to be used for anything. Seems a bit....brown.
    You can always use a light stain to enhance the grain and tweak the colour KK
  • on 1305458380:
    Wast not want not and why just toss it out..
    Indeed. I find it astounding that we live in a society where someone who has a pecan tree in their backyard will cut it up, throw it in the bin, then go buy wood for smoking.... So wasteful. Anyway, I'll keep it in mind and try and just get a fair few long pieces for under the house, and coat the ends in primer. That keeps the options open for either using for smoking, or taking down to Brisbane and offloading to you next trip if you're interested. Not sure how long before I'll get the next branches though. We'll see.
  • RichardM, I wouldn't be storing timber under your house.  Termites might be attracted and that can be a nightmare. Somewhere away from your house off the ground and under a tarp would do.
  • on 1305496722:
    RichardM, I wouldn't be storing timber under your house.  Termites might be attracted and that can be a nightmare. Somewhere away from your house off the ground and under a tarp would do.
    I think because it's hardwood, and I'd be storing on metal planks, and away from any of the steel posts (which get inspected yearly), I'd be right...I hope :). I do have another place though between the shed and our neighbouring fence that would work alright.
  • on 1305514111:
    I think because it's hardwood, and I'd be storing on metal planks, and away from any of the steel posts (which get inspected yearly), I'd be right...I hope :). I do have another place though between the shed and our neighbouring fence that would work alright.
    My pest fella always writes comments on my pest report if there is any loose timber on the ground near the house to get it removed.  Even old tree stumps away from the house!!!  Should be alright near the shed though.  They are nasty little buggers (the termites, not the pest control man :) ) How big was the bit of wood you got off ebay?  Big enough to do 4 little group handles????
  • on 1305712751:
    Had a look but tired and could not find teh specs / pics of yours... Remember wood show on this weekend so get me teh info ASAP as I may come across some bits that would suit at the right price.
    Well the lights na good at this time of night, but this will give you an idea.  I measured them up and did a drawing for sizes, also bascially it would be nice to have the same but with a more rounded bum. ;) th_5dea2389.jpgth_1f8fe3bc.jpgth_cd3f9629.jpgth_existinghandle.jpgth_newhandle.jpg The machines red with stainless.  My thinking was a nice dark red wood would be nice, but see what you can pickup at the show. :) Also would love some handles made up (yes I know I'm pushing my luck). th_3cada728.jpg They are max 45mm long (stem to top of handle) to 35mm wide (across the star shaped handle).  A tad bigger on the handle would be good.  My hands get a bit sore turning them because they are so small. Can bring them down before you start making them for a look, but it will give you a heads up as to size.
  • The handle is moulded as one and the thread is plastic too internally.  Can be seen in the photos a bit.  I took the handle and the lever off. They are small.  The Pvl is small. ;) would prefer Same size but rounded after 85mm.  Need x 4 too.  2 groups and 2 lever handles. ;) Not asking much am I.  Not sure about threads.  I don't have any tools to determine that but a m10 nut fits the same as the existing plastic handles so the same thread as that ;)
  • I will have to visit Bunnings again to find out.  Sorry. Anyway here are a few photos for you.  A bit better in day light with the camera. th_e97de608.jpg Group Handle thread Close up - threaded length 30mm th_c2cd5d58.jpg Lever thread Close up - threaded length 30mm th_e29227ba.jpg Handle where the thread goes in, there is a 3 or 4mm with no thread, then it starts but the handle sits flush with the stainless steel lever/chromed group where the thread stops.  I hope that makes sense. th_f51883c0.jpg bog standard coles matchbox for sizing.  Does that help? th_31983670.jpg A side on photo of the handle with a matchbox.  You can see they are a little small.  I would like them a smidge (technical term I know) bigger.  I don't know how to get the buggers off though.  No screws, bolts or anything.
  • Went to Bunnings today.  No info at all regarding the pitch, or even a way to gauge it.  It's just an M10 nut, that was the only desciption on the ticket.  I even tried looking on the boxes etc too.  Sorry.  Bunnings at Noosa are getting a new store, I hope it improves! I will just bring the handle down sometime soon so that you can have a look.  Are there any days during the week that your usually home?
  • AM, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how are you using the pitch tap? I'm just curious how you go about doing what you are doing.  Any chance of a "how to" make handles with photos???  I would just be interested.
  • on 1305880568:
    3: Use a coach screw - thread one end to suit group 4: Drill hole in handle and screw in teh coach screw
    I think you mean coach BOLT, right? This reminds me, I really need to reoil my handle. It's standing up really well, but drying a little now so has lost a little bit of colour. Will put it on my to do list tomorrow.
  • Sounds good AM. Out of interest could you not source some threaded sleves, drill a hole dead centre in the handle, then glue in the metal sleve?  Or is that the inserts that you are talking about???
  • What kind of timber are we talking about? Would I be correct in saying the super hard Red Gum had no issues threading? Would that just be because of the crazy density of it?
  • Great timing with the inserts eh.  Thanks for rushing to finish them for me AM. The handles are totally amazing.  8)  Lovely grain, and now on the machine and totally makes the Lusso unique.  The inserts are a perfect match for the thread.  Nice job. I will post up a photo tomorrow after my morning coffee.  I will measure up the taps for you if you fancy doing them too.  They look totally out of place now with your great workmanship on display.  They really look the part.  So impressed. :) AM, I might have a contact with mature coffee trees.  Will ask about anything that might be useful for you woodwise.  What sort of size wood do you need roughly?  ie a minimum that I can specify.
  • It was so worth it!!! th_93a87f25.jpg New and old together.  What a difference the new handles make. th_41a63cf7.jpg All fitted, no dramas.  How nice do they look :) th_227f077c.jpg From the front with the new vario and the k6. Now for coffee. ;)  A big thanks to AM for his hardwork and generosity in making these for my machine.  Beautiful job AM.  Keep this up mate you really are doing an excellent job making these.  They fit the hand perfectly!  Did I say I was happy with them?  ;D  :D  ;)  8)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Coffee Forum

@ 2026 The Coffee Forum, All rights reserved.

Policies

Social