frame
After the old forum software breaking in a way that we were unable to fix, we've migrated the site to a new platform.

Some elements aren't working as we'd hoped - some avatars didn't survive the transition, and we're still having issues with attachments that weren't added as inline images, but we're hoping to have that all sorted out soon.

Coffee Pods - Aaarghh

jimjim
edited January 1970 in Have your say
There's these shows on TV where something bad is about to happen but you can't stop watching. Like those police chase shows - you know the bad guys gonna crash and you just have to watch it happen.

Coffee pods are like this. It's the most stupid idea that I've ever seen. You take some perfectly good coffee, grind it for staleness, mix it with Nitogen, package in heaps of land fill and serve. And it gets better - you can pay more for them than it you use normal coffee.

But somehow people can't take their eyes off them. They keep buying them. As a seller of coffee machines I get plenty of calls from people wanting pods. No amount of reasoning will stop them going through with it. We also get offices wanting pod machines. I explain that it's 3 times the cost and 5 times the waste but they can't take their eyes off them. Maybe it's the shiny packaging, maybe it's the catchy name.

Maybe it's the next big thing. Let's hope not.

Sorry for the rant but I just had a supplier do a pod machine demo. Sigh. I couldn't stop looking.  :-X

Comments

  • maybe they are secretly funded by apple... espresPod ipods are like way below standard in comparison to competitor quality yet everyone has those white earphones dangling from their head... despite being more expensive etc
  • it's got to be the convenience factor - just plop in the pod - no mess, no inconvenience...I guess it's the difference between the 'normal' consumer and the real espresso lover. Let's face it though, it could also be ignorance, because as far as the consumer knows, they are getting real espresso, not a stale, pale imitation of the real thing! I guess the more we can enlighten them, the better! dR
  • maybe its about the 'look' and ease of operation - though why anyone would want to drink stale coffee, or be tied into a single supplier, is beyond me!
  • It's a weird phenomenom , I heard a statistic I think it was denmark or holland really took to them and something like 3 in 4 house holds and busines's have them. So they could be to blame , people must have the latest euro fad. Maybe there's more than coffee in the pod?
  • I'd rather have an i-pod
Sign In or Register to comment.

Coffee Forum

@ 2026 The Coffee Forum, All rights reserved.

Policies

Social